Emergency Management and Public Health

Graduate Certificate Program

Offered through the Department of Engineering Management and Systems Engineering, the graduate certificate in Emergency Management and Public Health provides the skills needed to define emergencies and disasters as well as develop incident management plans for responding to and managing environmental and public health emergencies.

In addition to coursework within the department, students may take courses at GW's Milken Institute School of Public Health.

All courses are held in-person on GW's main campus in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Courses are typically held in the late afternoon or early evening to accommodate working professionals.

Course Structure

The program is comprised of 18 credit hours and completed through six courses:

  • Four required courses:
    • Crisis and Emergency Management
    • Medical and Public Health Emergency Management
    • Biostatistical Applications for Public Health
    • Principles and Practices of Epidemiology
  • Two electives:
    • Any two from a list of approved courses within the department.

Download in PDF

Admissions Requirements

Prospective students must fulfill the certificate admissions requirements through submission of a complete online application form and other documents as listed by the deadlines noted.

Please note: First-time international applicants may not apply directly to a certificate program. 

Current graduate students who wish to complete a certificate along with their master's or doctoral program must also follow the certificate admissions requirements, but may opt to have their transcripts and documents transferred from their previous application. Please contact [email protected] to make the request.

Transfer to Master's Program

Upon successful completion of a certificate program, students have the option to transfer credits to a full master's program at the School of Engineering & Applied Science. 

Please note: You must receive a B or higher in each course in order for it to transfer. Additionally, you must submit a new application for the selected master's program and provide the required documents and exam scores listed as part of the master's program admissions requirements.

For any questions, please contact [email protected].


View Gainful Employment Disclosure